Thursday, March 15, 2007

The emerging Theocratic Party

Technorati tags: , , ,

 

I am, finally, beginning to consider joining those Republicans who have left the party over the last 30 or so years. I strongly suspect that '08 will prove to be the end of the Republican party and the beginning of the Theocratic party.

I realize that, these days, being a republican is often portrayed as being some sort of slavering madwoman or nigh psychotic soccer mom with wild religious fervor and a size 18 dress. Its annoying to those of us who are, well, slightly more old fashioned, I guess.

The rise of the religious right and the seizure of prominence within the Republican party have led to a situation where there is, suddenly, beginning to be a new sort of sharp demarcation between the two parties -- one that I don't think the democratic party is going to suffer overly from in the beginning, but may find itself in a bind if a reasonably workable third party suddenly forms, as I personally find myself hoping with cynicism.

Politics, despite my watching events and having partaken of it myself, is not something I enjoy.  In the hypothetical situations we used to argue about in college, politics was the one where I was most often readily defeated, and in my approach to my subject, politics is often the red headed stepchild since the policies of politics are ephemeral.

 

I am, however, a republican. Some call my particular style "progressive conservative".  I disagree with the label, but, then, I always seem to. 

I prefer local over federal, and I believe that there does indeed need to be an extant government. I am not a free market purist, as while I have faith in humanity, it also includes faith that greed is not a force one can readily harness for public benefit. I really do have that whole horrific, jingoistic patriotic thing going on -- I believe in the ideals of Justice and Liberty for all.  I believe in civil rights for everyone, equally, the good with the bad, the pleasant with the displeasing.

I believe, quite strongly, that nothing is more important than civil rights. 

My personal choice of governmental system is somewhat akin to the one the US has, but shifts down more. A weaker federal state, more powerful locality. It happens to actually devolve the states as they are now into a slightly different form of power, since the main focus would be units smaller than a city, technically.

But then, I'm also an unrepentant agrarianist, so, go figure.

I do not believe that Theocracy is good. Not in any way, and not in any form. I stand morally opposed to it.

And yet, a theocracy is what the religious right is attempting to create. A representative theocracy, but still a theocracy.

I believe that within the next 6 years, the religious right is effectively going to establish an ecumenical Theocratic party beneath the name of the Republican party. I believe that some of the elements within the Republican party at present will end up splintering off and creating a new third party -- which, yes, will suffer from the problems that any third party suffers from and wont last very long.

However, if that third party can be backed effectively (and I feel that it could gain sufficient backing to sustain itself), and can set themselves up within the media system as a viable alternative to the GOP, that they will attract a great many of the present democrats to their side.

Doing so would definitely weaken all three elements to some extent, but the least weakened would be the Theocratic Party. It might also give some attention to the libertarian party, but since they are consistently unable to field even a moderately reasonable politico, I continue to doubt they will have any impact.

What would we call this new Republican Party?  Me, I say call it The American Party. but I'm not known for creative naming.

Honest.

I can say that I would change in a heartbeat, myself. A strong, moderate party that's cautiously progressive, and works for a limited federal structure while still retaining the standard necessities of protecting people's wallets would likely kick ass in the US, and revitalize at least to some extent the voting public.

I realize that's all pie in the sky idealism, as I'm no fool -- the powers that be do not want to give up their precious system.

I just don't think that they'll have much choice soon.

Because some of us are already aware of the shift towards theocracy.

And most of us remember the declaration of independence quite well.

Sometimes soon I'll do my whole spiel about the constitution...

No comments: